About The Doctor
Dr Sajal Kakkar has a rich experience of more than ten years in the field of Oncology. Being trained in prestigious Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, he gained widespread experience in Radiotherapy Treatment Planning, high precision techniques and multidisciplinary patient care.In his previous stints as Assistant Professor and Incharge, Dept. of Radiation Oncology at Cancer Research Institute, HIHT University, Dehradun and Consultant Clinical Oncologist at Apollo Cancer Hospitals, Hyderabad, he is well versed in high precision radiotherapy techniques like IMRT, IGRT, VMAT (Rapid Arc), stereotactic techniques like SRS, SBRT, PET/CT/MRI based treatment planning. Dr Kakkar underwent fellowship program at prestigious University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA and Institut Gustav Roussy, Paris for specialized advanced training. He believes in multidisciplinary teamwork to deliver best care to cancer patients.
Dr Sajal Kakkar was born in one of the holiest places in the Country, i.e. Haridwar in 1979. His father is an Engineer, who superannuated from BHEL Steel plant, while mother a homemaker. Being brought up in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual township, he developed a broad outlook to life since beginning. He had a meritorious student life, a DPS alumnus and prestigious NTSE (National Talent Search Examination) scholar.
He started his medical career by graduation from GSVM Medical College, Kanpur, UP and completed his internship training from Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital Kanpur and Main Hospital, BHEL, Haridwar in 2003. He went on to complete his Radiation Oncology residency from A.H. Regional Cancer Centre, Cuttack, Orissa from 2003-06. Thereafter he got selected as Senior Registrar in the prestigious and most sought after Oncology Centre across the world, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai and underwent rigorous training in various aspects of Oncology from May 2006-September 2008.
- In true spirit to serve his native place, Dr Sajal Kakkar joined as Assistant Professor & Incharge of Dept. of Radiation Oncology at Himalayan Hospital University, Jolly Grant, Dehradun. He was actively involved in the inception, planning and development of Cancer Research Institute from the scratch. The radiotherapy equipments commissioning and quality testing was done under his supervision and he has a unique distinction of being the first Radiation Oncologist in Uttarakhand state to treat the patient with radiation therapy. He was instrumental in starting high precision radiotherapy technique, IMRT in the institute. He was actively involved in starting B.Sc. course for Radiotherapy Technologists training in the department.
- In his quest to learn the advance treatment techniques, Dr Sajal shifted his base to another pioneering centre of excellence, Apollo Cancer Centre, Hyderabad. Being one of the first centres in country to install Novalis Tx linear accelerator unit, he got a rich experience to treat patients with IGRT, VMAT (Rapid Arc), Stereotactic techniques like SRS, SBRT and gating. Being a post-graduate department, he was responsible for organizing academic meetings, symposiums, chart rounds and supervision of research activities, including dissertation by the DNB students.
- Presently, he is working as Associate Director in Max Super Specialty Hospital, Mohali, Punjab. The department is well equipped with state of the art Linear Accelerator with IMRT, IGRT and VMAT capability and a HDR MicroSelectron Brachytherapy unit. He is blessed with a dedicated team of Surgical/Medical/Radiation Oncologists, which forms the largest multi-disciplinary team in Oncology north of Delhi.
Awards and Achievements
- National Talent Search Scholar (NTSE) in 1995
- UICC ICRETT Fellow in 2009
- AROI Fellowship in 2010
- AROI Fellowship in 2017
- First Radiation Oncologist to treat patients in Uttarakhand state
Education & Training
- MD Radiation Oncology – RCC Cuttack, Orissa
- Residency – Tata Memorial Hospital Mumbai
- Head and Neck Cancer ICRETT Fellowship under Dr Avraham Eisbruch at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery Training by Brainlab in Hong Kong
- Fellowship in Image Guidance and Stereotactic Techniques at Institute Gustave Roussy, France